Monday 6 January 2014

APP Words: Template Prototype 2

[4] [5] [8] [9] 
Even though I already have a template drawn out I would need to do it on the computer and then print it out just to double check that the dimensions are correct. This is really important because everything could go horribly wrong; it isn't ideal to produce a design if it doesn't fit on a standard travel mug size!

I scanned in my sketch and started to trace around it using the pen tool. It was nice and easy to do as it was quite a simple shape, so this didn't take long at all. I then hid the sketch layer and printed the template out to wrap it around the mug.


It didn't fit as well as I hoped, and I thought it was probably better to actually base it off the costa design.



I scanned in the costa design and was about to trace around it when I realised that I couldn't actually see the edges! I rescanned it but this time placed a piece of scrap paper behind it so that the white edge would show clearly. This was much easier to work with, so I traced around it and printed it out.


It fits perfectly! It was quite hard to hold this as the surface of the travel mug is very slippery, but I can see that this template will be the ideal size. However I still think I should cut off the bottom by a centimetre or something.


This has to be done very, very carefully, because it could go horribly wrong as the angle of the curve could change at any moment. So I copied and pasted the template, working on the copy. I placed new anchor points and using the original as guidance I tried to replicate the bottom curve.
This wasn't as easy as I thought because when I deleted the original anchor points it also deleted their curve, so I had to redraw it. I used the other copies as reference.


This didn't turn out quite as well as one side proved to be slightly - only slightly - longer. How annoying!


That's when I realised that on Costa's design there is actually a white 'border, as it were, running along the bottom, so I took reference from that.


And it worked! Yessss! Finally! It has the perfect amount of gap at the bottom so that it doesn't crease when set on a surface. I hope to paint the cup in the same colour as my chosen background colour.



Conclusion: [4] 
I can now move onto putting all of the elements together on top of this template. This has taken a great deal off my mind as I know now that my design will most definitely fit around my travel mug so it might not be necessary to create a PSD mockup, I can actually present the 'real deal'.

[n] Learning Outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment