Tuesday 1 October 2013

APP: Figuring Out My Interests (Possible Ideas)

Figuring Out My Interests
Alongside my dissertation I shall be working on my APP (Advanced Professional Practise). Before I want to even think about what kind of products I'd like to produce in relation to the brief, I will create a list of all that I'm interested in. I'm going to go as broad as I like, because when everything comes together there 'should' be some connection between my interests.

This is quite different to how I normally approach the brief, and it's mainly because we weren't instructed on what to produce by were given a list of themes: Arrival, Identity, Words, Conflict, Adventure and Home. So hopefully my list of interests would be able to adapt to these themes!


Image Sources: J.R.R. Tolkien: "The Hobbit"; George R.R. Martin: "A Game of Thrones; Magazine spread of Sayoko Ozaki from Happie NUTS; 11 Untranslatable Words: http://blog.maptia.com/posts/untranslatable-words-from-other-cultures; Natasha Cousens: "Life's Breath Entwined" http://natashacousens.com/; Homer, "The Illiad"; Jacopo Tintoretto: "Athene and Arachne" http://www.jacopotintoretto.org/;
 JDarnell: "The Little Mermaid" http://jdarnell.deviantart.com/; Feross Aboukhadijeh: "Travels in Japan" http://feross.org/japan/; Schin Loong (Luciole): "The Four Beauties" http://luciole.deviantart.com/

1. Reading
I love reading; I had even managed to go through most of the books in the children's department in my library's hometown, and even though I have forgotten most of those stories I can still remember some of the plots. They were mostly fantasy and how-to guides, and above are a few of my current favourites (although I have included The Hobbit which I read as a child).

2. Art & Illustration
Alongside being obsessed with reading, I really enjoy drawing and try to find as much time for it as I can during my spare time. I love Art Nouveau as well as "pretty" artwork, and am a great admirer for digital art (although I'm not that brilliant at it myself).

3. Fashion
I am really interested in this Japanese fashion called "Gyaru", mainly because of their makeup techniques and large eyes.

4. Mythology
As a child I managed to read a whole encyclopaedia of Greek mythology as well as Ancient Egyptian. I am interested in myths from other cultures as well.
My favourite greek mythology is the competition between Athena and Arachne, for it describes the origins of spiders. I quite like the Siege of Troy as well and Cleopatra... There are quite a lot of stories that I like!

5. Nature
Although I haven't illustrated anything as far as trees, I really like exploring nature such as going on walks through the woods or mountains. My favourite holiday was to China because even though it has large cities, there are often pretty landscapes surrounding them and I loved the cherry blossom trees. I would really like to go to Japan one day as it looks beautiful!

6. Fantasy
This is linked in with reading mythology, as I really like reading little stories of elves, goblins etc. and adore paintings of such things.

Conclusion:
Taking a look at all of my interests I can see that there is definitely a link to fantasy and mythology, especially stories. This gives me the idea to pursue the route to doing book illustration or book spreads, but I could also do something like stationary as long as I am able to do some illustration on it.


Possible Ideas
Unlike my other briefs that I have tackled in the past, this one is a lot more elaborate as it covers two or three projects  (depending on the size of my dissertation). I'm hoping to go for Pathway Option B or C so for now I'm going to treat it as if I'm going to be doing three themes for the APP.

I'm going to look at each of the themes and figure out which one of my interests works well for each one.

Arrival
Could possibly do designs for plane/train tickets?

Identity
This one could cover mythology as that could be the roots of culture e.g. Chinese mythology is a part of Chinese culture.

Words
My idea of mixing type and illustration could go with this theme. I really liked my unusual words project that I did at the beginning of my HND 2 year, so I could take that a step further and possibly do another book spread or a poster of some sort.

Conflict
Battle between two forces; ying and yang? Or perhaps maybe a conflict in different cultures?

Adventure
There is a quote I read by George R.R. Martin from A Dance with Dragons:
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
I could possibly do a book illustration to support this quote, or maybe mix hand lettering/typography and illustration.

Home
Home is quite an interesting one because it depends on what you think of "home"; it could be the feeling of being at home, or the physical aspect of home. Home also could relate to memories of family and friends.

So I have a small list of things I could do for each word, yet I feel that this is not enough so I've created mindmaps for each of the ones that really caught my eye:






Overall Conclusion:
Now that I have a brief list of possible ideas and interest, I'm going to take this further by researching what kind of product I would like to create and then work backwards. This will enable me to write my design briefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment