Sunday 14 April 2013

FMP: Typeface Choices

Mood Board

Before I finalise my design I would need to take a look at different typefaces so that I choose one that would complete the fairy tale theme. To get some inspiration I have created a mood board of those wedding invitations I have analysed that used typefaces that caught my eye. I also have included a medieval book.



So the typefaces that I’m looking for are calligraphic/script to reflect someone’s handwriting, and a serif typeface that would go well with the script typeface. If would like the first letter of “Once upon a time” to be decorated like the one shown in the medieval book although perhaps not so elaborate as the invitation itself would be quite elaborate.


Possible Typefaces

Here I have looked up on a few typefaces and analysed them to see what connotations are attached to each one.

Typeface for Heading 

Allura is a rather simple script typeface, although because each letter is joined up – so it’s a cursive typeface – it brings about a slight elegance to it. However I find it more cute than elegant because of it’s simplicity, but it’s a nice typeface all the same.
Allura reminds me of my own handwriting in a way because of how it’s joined up, so if I used this typeface it would be more personal because of how it’s reflects someone’s handwriting. I like how they’ve created little “gaps” in the joins such as the one found on U. 

Before the Rain is a beautiful typeface, as the simplicity of its design makes it quite friendly although it contains that elegant appearance because of the low contrast between thick and thin strokes (which resembles the writing made with a quill). 
There is a large height difference between the uppercase and lowercase letters. The uppercase letters take up a lot of space so this typeface is perhaps not suitable for a small invitation if I use it for quite a few words. I do like how they’ve made the uppercase letters look “thinner” than the lowercase letters so that it doesn’t seem like they have taken up a lot of space when they do. 
However I find that Before the Rain isn’t decorative enough to resemble an invitation out of a fairy tale.  Another thing is that it's extremely thin and wouldn't be easy to read unless it's at a very large pt. size.

Eutemia I Italic is such a beautiful typeface, and as soon as I saw it my mind immediately jumped to rose vines for some strange reason. This might be because of the decorative uppercase letters with the little separate strokes make it look like thorns sprouting from them. And despite how decorative each letter is they don’t take up a lot of space. 

Rechtman is quite an interesting typeface because there are some “highlights” on the letters because of the way they’ve designed little gaps inside of the letter. This gives it a 3D appearance that would stand out against the main text. 
This typeface reminds me of pirates because of the way they have done the uppercase letter of T, as the way it’s curved reminds me of the mast on a ship. It also reminds me of the typeface of old seaside taverns for some reason. 
Because of this I don’t think that Rechtman would be suitable for the fairytale wedding invitation. 

I haven’t used Lovers Quarrel even though it was once of the first typefaces I have ever downloaded. It is elegant because of the joined-up letters (cursive) and yet at the same time it doesn’t resemble handwriting because it’s too “straight-up”. There is a slight axis on each letter but its not that noticeable. 

This is another typeface that had that fairy tale feel because of how it’s cursive and slightly slanted to the right, and this could resemble handwriting (but an elaborate one). The little “gaps” at the bottom of U reminds me of the technique of holding two pens together and trying to write in them and although its subtle, it does add “flavour” to the design and makes it an interesting feature. 
Another interesting feature is how they’ve decorated the terminals on the T as well as adding an extra part to the O and U. Even these decorative features have a contrast in thick and thin strokes so that they are a part of the letter as a whole. 
This typeface is a bit strange because it does remind me of medieval handwriting because of its gothic appearance, and yet it isn’t a Blackletter typeface. What I mean by “gothic” is that the little gaps at the bottom make it slightly rough and emphasises the dark, thick strokes. Because of these dark strokes, the tittle on the i “fades” into the background and becomes nothing more than a little dot someone quickly makes when in a rush. 
This typeface (Selfish) and Eutemia are quite similar, although this one is slightly wider and more slanted, but less decorative (as the uppercase letters are the main focus for decoration). 

There’s no doubt that Ruritania looks exactly as if it’s come out of a medieval book; it has those Blackletter designs to the characters and the uppercase letters are extremely elaborate. Even the lowercase letters have some decoration in them, as inside their counters there are little “flicks” as it were. This gives the typeface a bit of a modern feel because medieval writing only concentrated on the uppercase letters for decoration.
Although there is a contrast between thick and thin strokes it isn’t as noticeable. I find that each letter is quite close together as well and this might mean that it’ll be hard to read at a small size.  
This would be perfect for this invitation, and yet I have a feeling that it might be too gothic. I think that I should try it out and see if it works with my design anyway but I’m just not too sure.

Typeface for the Main Body


I was going to put this typeface (Kingthings Calligraphy) beneath the “Typeface for the heading” section until I realised that it’ll probably be better for the main body because it isn’t as elaborately decorated so could work at a smaller point size. Even though it is a black letter typeface it isn’t as gothic and those connotations of dark and gloomy places don’t crop up when I look at it. Instead I think of a thick brush dipped in black ink because of the thick strokes, and even the thin strokes aren’t that thin. The way he has designed the tittle reminds me of medieval writing because of how it has corners, and he has even included it bowl of the O. When I saw this my mind immediately jumped to the image of a monk bent over a piece of parchment, dipping his quill into ink and then onto the page.

This is Chanticleer Roman, and the reason I have chosen this is because although it’s a sans serif typeface the series are subtly decorative, such as that little “curl” on the end of the shoulder of r. this means that such decorations wouldn’t get in the way if I reduced the pt size to, say, 8pt. 
Another thing I like about this typeface is that the x-height of the lowercase letters isn’t much smaller than the cap height, and in fact is seems that the cap height is exactly double the height of the lowercase. This means that the typeface doesn’t look stretched upwards and that it sits comfortably on the page.
For some reason this typeface reminds me of castle because of the way the M is formed, and I’m trying to wrack my brains on what exactly it reminds me of. I think it might be from a book of magic or something that I read as a child, so right now I’m thinking of the moon and sparkles and fantasy worlds.
However I find the kerning really close on some of the letters such as M and r for Mr and Mrs, as the lower serifs seem to join because they are so close. This reminds me of typefaces used in typewriters because some of them are joined because of the different kernings. Apart from those two letters, the kerning for the others seem perfectly fine because it doesn’t make them look too far apart.

Aah, Minion Pro, you beautiful typeface you. There’s a high contrast between thick and thin strokes that the thin strokes almost disappear when at a small pt. size.  This gives it some elegance because of how the serifs don’t mess with the kerning nor join any of the letters. 
It has that brilliant combination of professional and casual; the professional appearance from the extremely straight, horizontal serifs, and casual from the little curls at the ends of r’s shoulder and the ear of f. The straight serifs gives it a slightly rigid appearance like a person wearing a business suit as well as a very strong appearance because it reminds me of straight pillars supporting a building. 
However is this “strongness” too strong for a wedding invitation? I would like mine to be a perfect mixture of friendly and elegant, so is Minion Pro the right choice? 


Conclusion:
After this I have decided to go with either Ruritania or Selfish for the main heading, and Kingthings Calligraphy or Chanticleer Roman for the main body.
The reason for Ruritania is because of how it looks as if it came straight out of a medieval book with it’s extremely elaborate decorations on uppercase letters, and even the little flicks on the lower case letters. I’m just worried that it might be too decorative hence why I chose Selfish as my “back-up” just in case it doesn’t work out. The reason for Selfish is because it resembles handwriting in some way, and the little curls remind me of vines.
It was really hard for me to decide on the other typeface because I love Minion Pro, yet I want something a bit more “friendly” and Chanticleer Roman is perfect for that because it’s like Minion Pro but slightly thicker and with an emphasis on the little “curls” at the end of the shoulders and ears. Kingthings Calligraphy would work well with Ruritania because of it’s blackletter style, yet it’s a lot more minimalist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment